Guess who’s on Spring Break? This girl!
Since I have five days to relax (read: study like it’s my job), I figure I will challenge myself and meal plan this week since my schedule is not so chaotic and I actually have time to cook at home! Let’s see how well I do by next monday.
After volunteering at the hospital today, I made a trip to Trader Joe’s to buy food for a week. My late New Year’s resolution is to be a smarter shopper. I’m looking in to CSAs in my area, anyone have any experiences they would like to share?
My wallet is weeping and I feel like I didn’t get anything. This is what $80 looks like in tangible goods:
Wish I bought more veggies and fruit, however, I honestly am not a fan of Trader Joe’s produce. I might make a mid-week stop at Rainbow for some greens.
Also trying to cut down on meat intake, so this shopping trip will be my only time buying meat protein for the week (at home, eating out is another story).
Slowly realizing that there are a lot more snacks than I planned for.
The reason for my title is not because I am newly single. Chi will be closing the restaurant three days this week, leaving me to cook for one. I’m thinking that’s why I subconsciously added so many easy snacks to my cart, making a huge extravagant meal doesn’t sound appealing when you’re only making one portion. Just give me the benefit of the doubt. 🙂
- Smoothie (bananas, strawberries, raspberries, spinach, almond milk and chia seeds)
- Yogurt parfait (Fage yogurt, strawberries, raspberries and granola)
- Apples with nut butter (Almond, peanut, sunflower butter)
- Cereal and almond milk w/ bananas.
- Banana Bread Oatmeal
- Flatbread Sandwich (w/ tomato, avocado, spinach and mozzarella)
- T’s Salad (w/ spring mix, mushroom, raw onion, tomato, jalapeño and cucumber)
- Pasta (w/ pesto, capers, pine nuts and artichoke)
- Toma tacos
- Omelette (w/ eggs, potatoes, mushrooms and avocado)
- Steak, red roasted potatoes and kale & mushroom salad
- Bell Peppers stuffed (w/ turkey) (recipe coming soon!)
- Chicken breast (w/ sweet potato and a side salad)
- Flatbread pizza
- Blue Barn, maybe?
- Pita chips/baked flatbread with homemade hummus
- Handful of nuts
- Chicken nuggets
- Dark chocolate
- Chocolate chip cookies or ice cream if I’m a good girl 🙂
Phew! That list definitely seems doable, and planning everything out ensures that I won’t let my produce rot away in the fridge (which does happen sometimes, sadly!) I hate throwing away food.
I also got my hair done last week! My friend, who lives in Santa Barbara, drove up to visit her boyfriend (who is my boyfriend’s uncle, but a year younger. Did I confuse you yet?). She helped me fix an unfortunate out-of-nowhere streak in the back of my hair and added subtle ombré to the bottom. I really wanted it to still look natural and not too blonde.
Awkward smile on three! 1..2..
What are you planning to eat for the week? Any good tips on how to budget the groceries better?