I was driving to Trader Joe’s yesterday morning when the radio talk hosts caught my attention. First, they asked how people thought the world would end. I fumbled around with a few answers in my head before the host proposed an asteroid crashing on to our planet. He also mentioned that the international government probably wouldn’t announce their findings to ensure chaos to be kept under control. Although I understand why, I’d be kind of bummed to find out that I had a month to do whatever I want.
What would I do, though? Travel? Lay outside all day? Reveal my deepest darkest secrets? Honestly, I’d probably live my life like normal just incase the astronomers were wrong. Totally random, but the question has been in the back of my mind all day.
Obligatory picture of my new grocery tote. I felt wrong wearing my Whole Food reusable bag at Trader Joe’s. But it has rainbow ice cream and donations help support SF Pride. #firstworldproblems
(P.S. Did you know San Francisco charges 10 cents a bag, if you don’t bring your own? Kind of cool and annoying at the same time because I ALWAYS forget my bag(s) at home.)
Chi is a cheese lover so I picked up an assortment of Spanish cheeses and parma prosciutto. I literally couldn’t finish my sentence before he raced to the refrigerator to make a plate. No lie.
I bought too much chorizo for my recipe, so I made Chorizo Breakfast Burritos for brunch and saved a serving for Chi to eat when he stopped home for lunch. I could of gone for three burritos, but I stopped at two. Thank goodness for my self control, phew. (Being sarcastic).
I was eating in the lunchroom at work on Friday when my coworker, Al, brought lentil soup that he made the night before. I made him give me a bite and it was so good! He told me his mom use to make it for him all the time. I knew I had to recreate it for my recipe this week.
Chorizo Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
- .75 Lbs Chorizo
- 2 Cups Dried Lentils
- 1 Russet Potato, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, diced
- 6 Cups Chicken/Vegetable broth
- 1 Cup water
- Fresh Basil
- 1/3 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Chop the washed potato and tomatoes, dice the onion and garlic.
2. Throw in the tomatoes and onion in a pan on medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then throw in the potatoes and chorizo for 8 minutes. Take 3 leaves of basil and rip little pieces into the pan. Stir occasionally.
3. Wash 2 cups of lentils. In a pot on high, pour in the broth and water. Add in the lentils. When broth is boiling, reduce heat to low. Stir in all the ingredients from the pan and mix.
4. Add in thyme, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Taste the broth until the flavor fits your needs. Stir and let the pot sit on low for ~50 minutes, until lentils and potatoes are the correct texture. Soft but not mushy.
5. Serve with fresh basil and top with queso fresco for garnish! This would be delicious with a side of crostini. 🙂
How do you think the world will end? How can I remember to bring my reusable bags with me?